The paper first briefly outlines the main characteristics of the EU assistance programs aimed to enhance nuclear safety in the Beneficiary countries. Then EU assistance provided to the Ukrainian regulator (SNRIU) is detailed, with specific emphasis on projects enhancing the capabilities of SSTC NRS as technical support organisation (TSO) to SNRIU, including training and tutoring (T&T) activities. The changing role of SSTC NRS in the cooperation activities is described as well. The broad range of cooperation is then illustrated by some selected projects focusing on various technical areas (e.g. severe accident management and mitigation, radioactive waste and spent fuel management, NPP service time extension, plant performance monitoring and operating experience feedback).
Finally, the paper briefly discusses the future perspectives of the nuclear safety cooperation between the EU and Ukraine.
2. http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/home_en, accessed March 2017.
3. Council regulation (EURATOM) No 300/2007 of 19 February 2007 establishing an Instrument for Nuclear Safety Cooperation.
4. Council regulation (EURATOM) No 237/2014 of 13 December 2013 establishing an Instrument for Nuclear Safety Cooperation.
5. Regulation (EU) No 236/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 March 2014 laying down common rules and procedures for the implementation of the Union’s instruments for financing external action.
6. Evaluation of the INSC, Draft Evaluation Report, Volume 1: Main Report; Volume 2: Annexes, January 2017.
7. EU assistance to Ukraine, Special report No 32, European Court of Auditors, 2016.
8. https://nuclear.jrc.ec.europa.eu/tipins/europeaid-safety-training, accessed March 2017.
9. Stockmann Y. et al. European Union International Cooperation to Improve Regulatory Effectiveness in Nuclear Safety, Proc. of the International Conference on Effective Nuclear Regulatory Systems: Sustaining Improvements Globally, IAEA, Vienna, Austria, 11–15 April 2016.
10. http://www.ensreg.eu/EU-Stress-Tests/, accessed March 2017.
11. Dybach O. et al. Knowledge transfer and exchange between EU and Ukrainian experts in the area of severe accident analysis and management under the INSC project UK/TS/43, Proc. of the EUROSAFE Forum 2015 conference, Brussels, Belgium, 2–3 November 2015.
12. Journeau C. Experimental Data Set from VULCANO VE-U7 for Spreading Code Assessment, Technical Report, CEA, Cadarache, France, 2002.
13. Annual Report on Nuclear and Radiation Safety in Ukraine 2012 (http://www.snrc.gov.ua/nuclear/en/), accessed March 2017.