The paper presents the scenario developed for an early stage of the accident progression to assess impact of highly explosive hydrogen on RBMK-1000 design. It was found out that the ratio between the speed of local generation of gaseous hydrogen and the speed of hydrogen spreading in the vapor-gas medium of the core is the determining factor for the occurrence of conditions of explosive vapor-air mixture in the core.
Obtained data can be used in further studies to model the formation of explosive mixtures in the environment, the amount of air and water vapor in the analysis of explosive vapor-air mixture. Practical calculations make it possible to assess fracture energy and predict the impact on structures.
2. Sich, A. R. (1994), “Chornobyl Accident Revisited the Source Term Analysis and Reconstruction of Events During the Active Phase”, Nuclear Safety, pp. 49-53
3. Azarov, S.I., Taranovsky, O.V., Sidorenko, V.L. (2014), “Assessment of Hydrogen Explosiveness at an Early Stage of the Chornobyl Accident” [Otsinka vybukhonebezpechnosti vodniu na rannii stadiia rozvytku Chornobylskoi avarii], Problems of Emergencies, No. 20, pp. 3-10. (Ukr)
4. Azarov, S.I., Taranovsky, O.V., Sidorenko, V.L. (2014), “Analysis of Interaction of Reactor Graphite with Water Vapor during Chornobyl Accident” [Analiz vziemodii reaktornoho hrafitu z vodianoi paroiu pry avarii na ChAES], Fire Safety: Theory and Practice, No. 18, pp. 8-13
5. Baker, L., Just, L. (1976), “Studies of Metal-Water Reactions at High Temperatures. III Experimental and Theoretical of the Zirconium-Water Reaction”, ANI-6548-196, pp. 20-56.
6. Urbanic, V. F. (1977), “Oxidation of Zirconium Alloys in Steam at 1000 to 1850 °C”, III Int. Conf. on Zirconium in Nuclear Industry, Canada, ASIM, pp.19-77.
7. Westerman, R. E., Westerman, R. E., Hesson, R. M. (1977), “Zircaloy Cladding ID/OD Oxidation Studies”, EPRI NP-525, pp. 52-54.
8. Brown, A. F., Healen, T. (1980), “The Kinetics of Total Oxygen Uptake in Steam Oxidized Zircaloy-2 in Range 1272-1673K”, J. Nucl. Mater., Vol. 88, No. 1, pp. 1-6.
9. Lestiikov, S., Schgahd, G., Being, H. (1978), “Kinetik аnd Murphologie der Isotermen Dampf-Oxidation von Zicaloy4 bei 700–1300 °C”, KFK-278, pp. 17-22.
10. Kabakchi, S.A., Bulgakova, G.P. (1997), “Radiation Chemistry in Nuclear Fuel Cycle” [Radiatsionnaia khimiia v yadernom toplivnom tsykle], Lections of Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia, 96 p. (Rus)
11. Bartlme, F. (1981), “Gasodynamic of Burning” [Gazodinamika goreniia], Moscow, Energoatomizdat, 280 p. (Rus)
12. Miassoedov, A. (2015), “Overview of Severe Accident Research Activities at KIT”, Institute for Nuclear and Energy Technologies, CSARP and MCAP Meetings September 14–18, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 2015, 271 p.