A key point for safety assessments at different steps of radioactive waste (RW) management is the knowledge of all the relevant properties of materials that are to be disposed of as RW or cleared from regulatory control (immediately or after a certain period of time for decay storage). Characterization is the basis for the determination of radiological and non-radiological hazards of the radioactive materials and waste.
This paper considers approaches for a systemized characterization of radioactive waste at all steps of its management from generation to disposal. These approaches ensure safe radioactive waste management at each step and the compliance of the final radioactive waste product with the established requirements.
The provided information is based on the “Guideline for characterization, accounting and control of radioactive waste”, which was developed jointly by experts from SSTC NRS and RISKAUDIT.
2. General Safety Provisions for Predisposal Radioactive Waste Management, NP 306.4.213-2017, approved by SNRIU Order No. 279 dated 01.08.2017. (Ukr)
3. Joint Convention on the Safety of Spent Fuel Management and on the Safety of Radioactive Waste Management, IAEA, Information Circular, adopted on 5 September 1997 by a Diplomatic Conference convened by the International Atomic Energy Agency, 36 p.
4. Convention on Nuclear Safety, IAEA, Information Circular, adopted on 17 June 1994 by a Diplomatic Conference convened by the International Atomic Energy Agency, 14 p.
5. Strategy and Methodology for Radioactive Waste Characterization, IAEA-TECDOC-1537, IAEA, 2007, 178 p.
6. Characterization of Radioactive Waste Forms and Packages. Technical Reports Series No. 383, IAEA, 1997, 138 p.
7. Determination and Use of Scaling Factors for Waste Characterization in NPPs, IAEA-NW-T-1.18, STI/PUB/1363, Vienna, 2009.
8. Council Directive 2013/59/Euratom of 5 December 2013, laying down basic safety standards for protection against the dangers arising from exposure to ionising radiation, and repealing Directives 89/618/Euratom, 90/641/Euratom, 96/29/Euratom, 97/43/Euratom and 2003/122/Euratom. Official Journal of the European Union L-13 of 17 January 2014.
9. Council Directive 2011/70/Euratom of 19 July 2011, establishing a Community framework for the responsible and safe management of spent fuel and radioactive waste, 9 p.
10. Guideline for Characterization, Accounting and Control of Radioactive Waste. Revision 3, developed in the framework of INSC Project U3.01/10 (UK/TS/46, Subtask 2.1), November 2017, 40 p.
11. Recommendations on Establishment of Acceptance Criteria for Disposal of Conditioned Radioactive Waste in Near-surface Facilities, RD 306.4.098-2004, approved by SNRIU Order No. 160 dated 25.10.2004.