Nuclear energy is a strategic Ukrainian industry that produces more than 50% of electricity at present. Over the last decade during the operation of Ukrainian NPPs, the set of technical matters have been found and corresponding tasks shall be decided with engaging of scientific potential of the country. One of such matter is a safety justification of NPP components and structures for the period that is bigger than an initial design one and that is defined as transition from design operation to the long-term operation (LTO).
From the end of 2010 to the beginning of 2020, the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine granted 11 licenses for 11 power units based on positive results of the state assessment and review of Periodic Safety Review Reports considering mandatory safety review each ten years.
These results became possible due to the coordinated, conscientious and longstanding work of thousands of highly qualified nuclear experts, which led to the fact that Ukraine now has a unique experience in preparation for a transition of various types of WWER-1000 and WWER-440 reactors to LTO. The summarized results and lessons learnt from the practice of transition to LTO are presented in this paper.
2. Yelagin, Yu. (2001). NPP lifetime management. Nuclear Engineering Abroad. Moscow, No. 3, 3–10.
3. R&D Report. Technical support on strength and material science aspects related to assessment of justifications of safe long-term operation of reactor pressure vessels and critical components of NPP thermomechanical equipment. Definition of the methodology and approaches to the ageing analysis based on international experience and U.S. NRC experience for its application at Ukrainian NPPs. (Stage II, Intermediate). SSTC NRS Report, Kyiv, 2011.
4. Law of Ukraine “On Nuclear Energy Use and Radiation Safety”.
5. General Safety Provision for Nuclear Power Plants. Approved by SNRIU Order No. 162 dated 19 November 2007, registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on 25 January 2008 under No. 56/14747 (with amendments) (NP 306.2.141-2008). Retrieved from https//zakon.rada.gov.ua/go/z0056-08
6. Comprehensive program of activities on long-term operation of NPP units (Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 263-r dated 29 April 2004).
7. General requirements for NPP long-term operation upon results of periodic safety review. Approved by SNRIU Order No. 181 dated 26 November 2004 and registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on 15 December 2004 under No. 1587/10185 (with amendments) (NP 306.2.099-2004).
8. General requirements for ageing management of components and structures and long-term operation of nuclear power plants. Approved by SNRIU Order No. 136 dated 13 April 2017 and registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on 05 May 2017 under No. 578/30446 (NP 306.2.210-2017).
9. Requirements for periodic safety review of NPP units. Approved by SNRIU Order No. 313 dated 30 August 2017 and registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on 20 September under No. 1158/31026 (NP 306.2.214-2017). Retrieved from http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/RE31026.html
10. PM-D.0.03.222-14. Standard ageing management program for NPP components and structures.
11. SOU NAEK 080:2014. Operation of technological complex. Long-term operation of operating NPP units. General provisions.
12. SOU NAEK 109:2016. Operation of technological complex. Monitoring of NPP civil structures. General provisions.
13. SOU NAEK 141:2017. Engineering, scientific and technical support. Ageing management of NPP components and structures. General requirements.
14. SOU-N YaEK 1.004:2007. Requirements for structure and contents of the periodic safety review report of operating NPPs.
15. Shugailo, O., Plachkov, G., Grebenyuk, Yu., Shevchenko, I., Dybach, O., Zelenyi, O., Moskalyshyn, R. (2018). The main results of ageing management state analysis of Ukrainian NPPs. Nuclear and Radiation Safety. 3(79), 3-9.
16. SOU-N NAEK 133:2016. Engineering, scientific and technical support. Methodology for defining mechanical peculiarities of metal upon strength test results.
17. PNAE G-7-002-86. (1989). Standards for strength calculation of NPP equipment and piping. Moscow, Energoatomizdat, 524.
18. MT-D.0.03.391-09. Methodology for assessing strength and life of WWER reactor pressure vessels during operation.
19. IAEA-EBP-WWER-08 (Rev. 1). Guidelines on pressurized thermal shock analysis for WWER nuclear power plants. Revision 1, IAEA, 2006.
20. Methodology for brittle fracture resistance calculation of WWER reactor pressure vessels during operation (MRKR-SKhR-2004). RD EO 0606-2005.
21. Unified Procedure for Lifetime Assessment of Components and Piping in WWER NPPs “VERLIFE”, Version 5 – Final, EC 5th Euratom Framework Programme 1998-2002. September 2003.
22. SOU NAEK 177:2019. Engineering, scientific and technical support. Methodology for assessing brittle fracture resistance of WWER reactor pressure vessel. Approved by Energoatom Order No. 1349 dated 26 December 2019 and agreed by SNRIU Letter No. 15-46/13199-13562 dated 11 November 2019.
23. Generic Implementation Procedure (GIP) for Seismic Verification of Nuclear Power Plant Equipment. SQUG [Seismic Qualification Utility Group]. Revision 2A, 1992.
24. Equipment seismic resistance assessment methodology of qualification for seismic impacts. DITI 300/376-RU/R.2
25. Khmelnitsky NPP. Unit 2. Technical report on results of activities on additional research of seismic hazards in three volumes.
26. Rivne NPP. Unit 4. Technical report on results of activities on additional research of seismic hazards in three volumes.
27. South-Ukraine energy complex. Report on obtaining calculation accelerograms, peak accelerations for design-basis earthquake and safe shutdown earthquakes on the surface of SUNPP site soil.
28. Summary report on results of additional research efforts of seismic and seismotectonic conditions of ZNPP site. Creation of geodynamic polygon. 191-80-O-KO-13.
29. Technical report. Probabilistic analysis of seismic hazards of ZNPP site according to recommendations of IAEA SSG-9 following PSHA procedure. No. ZAES.75/137-13.OT.01.
30. PNAE G-5-006-87. Design standards of seismic resistant nuclear power plants.
31. Requirements for seismic resistant design and assessment of seismic safety of NPP units. Approved by SNRIU Order No. 175 dated 17 October 2016 and registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine on 07 November 2016 under No. 1449/29579 (with amendments) (NP 306.2.208-2016).
32. Ryzhov, D., Shugailo, O., Shugaylo, Ol-r, Kendzera, O., Marienkov, M., Shenderovych, V., Buryak, R. (2017). About modern requirements for seismic resistance design and evaluation of seismic safety of Ukrainian NPPs. Nuclear and Radiation Safety. 2(74), 9-13.
33. Kuznetsova, Kh., Shugailo, O., Cherniak, Ya., Moskalyshyn, R. (2019). Results of developing the national action plan on ageing management. XV International Scientific and Technical Conference of Young Researchers and Specialists “Problems of Modern Nuclear Power Engineering”. Theses, Kharkiv.
34. Legal framework for long-term operation of nuclear power reactors. OECD 2019. NEA No. 7504.