At present, the diversification of nuclear fuel is ongoing at Ukrainian NPPs. The Ukrainian regulatory authority and SSTC NRS, as a technical support organization, take active part in the licensing process for introduction of new fuel assembly types. In the framework of this activity, the technical review of justification material is performed in various nuclear safety issues including a wide range of verifying calculations. Neutron kinetic, thermal-hydraulic and fuel thermal-mechanical models are developed for technical review of justification material such as safety analysis of mixed cores. The features of the developed models for safety analysis of new fuel implementation and results of their application for verifying calculations are presented in this paper. The results cover such aspects as preparation of few-group cross-section libraries with features of new FA types, calculations of transitional mixed fuel loadings up to stationary ones, verifying safety assessment for some design-basis reactivity-initiated accidents, criticality of fuel management systems and thermal-mechanical fuel behavior.
2. S.Bozhko (2015). Results of the Westinghouse fuel test operation at Ukrainian NPP units. WENRA Spring Meeting. Switzerland, Geneva.
3. H. Shah, R. Latorre, G. Raspopin, J. Sparrow (2009). Enhanced WWER-1000 Fuel Technology and Performance”. Proceedings of the 8-th International Conference “WWER Fuel Performance, Modelling and Experimental Support”. Helena Resort, Bulgaria.
4. A. Abdullayev, Y. Aleshin, G. Kullish, P. Lashevich, R. Latorre at et. (2013). The Westinghouse Fuel Assemblies Performance after Operation in South-Ukraine NPP Mixed Core. Proceedings of the 10-th International Conference “WWER Fuel Performance, Modelling and Experimental Support”. Helena Resort, Bulgaria.
5. M. Ieremenko, Y. Bilodid, Y. Ovdiienko (2009). Technical Review in SSTC NRS under New WWER Fuel Implementation. Experience of Carrying out of Independent Verifying Calculations. Proceeding of the 8-th International Conference “WWER Fuel. Performance, Modelling and Experimental”. Helena Resort, Bulgaria.
6. Bilodid, Y.; Ovdiienko, I.; Mittag, S.; Kuchin, A.; Khalimonchuk, V.; Ieremenko, M. (2014). Assessment of spectral history influence on PWR and WWER core. Kerntechnik 77(2012)4, KT11025, pp.278–285.
7. M. Ieremenko, Y. Bilodid (2004). Assessment of TVSA stiffener impact on peripheral pin powers. Collection of scientific papers SNIYaEiP. Sevastopol, Ukraine: SNIYaEiP. Issue 12, pp.50–57.
8. Fuel Handling. Refueling in WWER-1000 Reactor. The Nomenclature of Operational Neutronic Calculations and Experiments, Energoatom (2013). SOU NAEK 064:2013.
9. Regulatory Guide 1.190. Calculational and Dosimetry Methods for Determining Pressure Vessel Neutron Fluence. (2001). Washington, DC: U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research.